Thursday, November 1, 2012

How to identify Relatives in Hokkien ?

Kimster : Dad, in English, we simply call  maternal and paternal relative 'uncles and aunties'  How do you say it in Hokkien ?

CCH: In Hokkien, relatives are precisely identified as follows :

Paternal Uncle (Older) : Ah Pek
Paternal Uncle (Younger) : Ah Chek

Paternal Auntie (Older) : Ah Chim
Paternal Aunties (Younger) : AhKhor

Maternal Uncle (Older) : Ah Koo
Maternal Uncle (Younger) : Ah Koo

Maternal Auntie (Older) : Ah Ee
Maternal Aunties (Younger) : Ah Ee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Hokkien... Hokkien... Hokkien

I was born, bred and probably die in Penang where Hokkien is the predominant Chinese dialet spoken. Penang Hokkien is quite different from the Hokkien spoken in the rest of Malaysia, Singapore and China in that it is sing-song in nature and contains quite a number of Malay words.

Being born a Hokkien would probably make you assume that I am very proficient in Hokkien. Believe it or not, English is my native language in that I think, dream and have nightmares in English ! I only realise that I hardly speak any Hokkien when in the early 1980's my "Jee Tneoh" i.e husband to my Mum's 2nd Sister asked why I reply in English when he asks me in Hokkien !

This blog basically documents what and how I am teaching Hokkien to my 2 daughters living with me i.e Kimster and Kister who are both studying in a Chinese School after 3 years in an English Pre-school.